- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Eye Disease Management At Brimhall Eye in Las Vegas, NV
If you have an eye disease, it is very important that you stay up to date and on top of the situation. Eye disease management is about more than just using your eye drops—it is also about regular checkups, discussions with your eye doctor about options, and watching out for any signs of problems. Here in Las Vegas, Brimhall Eye Center offers a variety of treatment options for both common and uncommon eye diseases.
Common Eye Diseases
The majority of adults with eye diseases have a common problem:
- Cataracts occur when the lens of the eye becomes cloudy. They cause blurred or cloudy vision, changes in color perception, and eventually can lead to blindness. Cataract surgery to replace the lens with an artificial one is extremely effective.
- Glaucoma is a term for damage to the optic nerve, most often caused by high pressure in the eye. It causes peripheral vision loss but tends to have no other symptoms. Vision lost to glaucoma cannot be regained, but proper treatment can slow or stop the progression of the disorder.
- Macular degeneration involves the cells of the macula, the part of the retina responsible for central vision. In people who have this disorder, the cells start to die off and central vision first becomes distorted, and then blind spots start to appear. Treatment for macular degeneration depends on the type and severity of the condition.
- Diabetic retinopathy occurs when a person with diabetes has uncontrolled blood sugar levels. These cause the blood vessels of the eye to become inflamed and leak. This damages the retina and can cause excessive floaters, blurred vision, and shadows in your vision. Treatment starts with managing your blood sugar, but in cases where this is not enough, laser surgery is sometimes used.
- Dry eye syndrome is when a person has persistently dry eyes, rather than the occasional discomfort we all suffer from. Symptoms can include irritation, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye, redness, and excessive watery tearing. The treatment for this disorder really depends on the cause of the problem but one option for some people is to block the ducts that allow tears to drain from the eyes.
Visit Our Ophthalmology Center Today! Contact Brimhall Eye In Las Vegas, NV Today!
Here at Brimhall Eye, we offer treatment from Las Vegas ophthalmologists who can help you at every stage of your condition. If you have an eye condition, we will help you figure out the best way to treat it and the best steps for eye disease management moving forward. If you are lucky enough not to have problems yet, don't take it for granted! We encourage everyone to have regular comprehensive eye exams, including disease screening. To make an appointment, call (702) 263-2020.