- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 09-18-2017
5 Things You May Not Know About Cataracts
While most people are basically familiar with cataracts, there are a lot of misconceptions about the disease. At The Brimhall Eye Center, most of our cataract patients are surprised with a lot of the facts about living with cataracts. Whether you've recently been surprised with a cataracts diagnosis, or you have a friend or family member with the disease, here are some important, little-known facts about cataracts.
Ophthalmologist Talks Cataract Facts
Most people are familiar with the concept of cataracts, and they know that the disease is dangerous to their eyesight. Most other common views about cataracts are wrong, though. For instance, our ophthalmologist says that:
- Cataracts aren't exclusively for old people. While it's true that most cataract patients are over 50 years of age, they can happen at any age, including infancy.
- Exposure to the sun can increase your risk of developing cataracts. Our eye doctor recommends you always wear sunglasses when you're outdoors, as well as staying inside during the brightest parts of the day.
- Cataracts are the biggest cause of blindness in the world. However, if caught in time with regular eye examinations, patients can recover their sight by undergoing cataract surgery.
- There are ways to reduce your risk of developing cataracts. You can't prevent them completely, but you can reduce the odds by eating a healthy diet, avoiding smoking and other tobacco products, always wearing sunglasses and getting a moderate amount of exercise every day.
- You can have cataracts and not even know it. In fact, most patients are surprised with a diagnosis of cataracts. In the beginning, they develop painlessly. In fact, the only painful part of having cataracts is when they develop so far that it begins to be painful to be in bright light. There are absolutely no symptoms when cataracts are beginning, that's why it's so important for everyone to get regular eye examinations.
Looking for a Doctor of Ophthalmology in Las Vegas?
Keeping your eyes healthy and dealing with early treatment is crucial for keeping your eyesight when dealing with cataracts. It all starts with a comprehensive eye examination. Our professional team is happy to help you with all your vision care needs. Call our office today for an appointment. We have offices in northwest Las Vegas, south-west Las Vegas, and on North Tenaya Way, and you can contact them (702) 263-2020.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.